Academy Awards Program
The American Saddlebred Horse and Breeders Association Academy Awards program encourages and recognizes youth and adults participating in academy classes at horse shows throughout the country. Academy classes create an opportunity for beginning saddle seat riders to develop and fine-tune their horsemanship skills, sportsmanship, and appreciation for the American Saddlebred.
Academy Awards Rules
- Points accumulate between October 1 and September 30 of each year and are tabulated by riding instructors. Points are kept on an official point sheet and must be signed by BOTH the rider and the instructor or youth club advisor.
- The point sheets are to be sent to ASHBA by October 31 of the award year for verification.
- One (1) point is given for participating in an academy riding or driving class. One (1) point is given for placing 2nd – 8th in an academy riding or driving class. Two (2) points are given for placing 1st in an academy riding or driving class.
- ASHBA membership is required in order for the points to count.
- A bronze medallion will be awarded for earning 15 points in the first year of competition, a silver medallion for 15 points in the second consecutive year, and a gold for 15 points in the third consecutive year. After being awarded a gold medal, participants may choose to enter the Academy Master Medal Awards Program, which encourages participation in the promotion, education, and continued involvement with the American Saddlebred.